Thursday, April 28, 2016

Devotion 4.28.16

Ever walk into your backyard when a baby blue jay or mockingbird has descended from the nest into the yard?  If you have, then I don't have to go any further do I?  You've experienced the parent, male or female, not just dive toward you with a sound that is like live electricity, but more like bombard you.  You might escape with just harassment, but a cap might be the only thing between your head and the beak of an angry parent letting you know that while it may be your house, the yard is theirs at that moment.

The dove, however, is puzzling.  Twice this week my dog and I have crossed the path of a small dove laying in the grass attempting to fly.  Hank, my dog, is certainly curious and spends time considering his options.  I'll walk up to see what the lump of feathers is at first, and when I get close, I realize it is a dove just learning to spread its wings.  I then look up, and there is at least one of the parents sitting and watching me.  No diving.  No live electricity.  Just sitting watching.  I even quipped, "What kind of parent are you?" when I noticed the dove just staring at me as I inched closer to the young dove.

"Innocent as doves." That's a phrase Christ uses in Matthew, and it is a warning for his followers.  In this case, he is sending out the apostles and gives them specific instructions as to who to engage, how to engage, and how to greet the homes of those who are receptive as well as how to leave those that aren't.  Then he warns the apostles, "Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16)  Note the use of three different creatures:  Wolves - the world is a dangerous place; Serpents - Be wise of the ways of this world; Doves - Be innocent and without anger. 

Pray that we act in Christ's name in a manner fitting to Christ's desires.  Pray we engage people allowing His Spirit to speak through us (Matthew 10:20).

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment