Thursday, December 15, 2016

Devotion 12.15.16

Ever have work that you just, in a word, hate?  It's part of the job that you just dread.  You work to avoid it and wait until you absolutely have to do it, or put it off until the due date no longer gives you that option.  When I was in full education career, I did.  I can give you examples, but why?  You have them as well.

Imagine my surprise recently when my former boss and I were talking at a social engagement, and he began talking about some work at the office.  He looked at me and said, "I wish you were here to meet with (a person they contract with, not an employee) and to help him/her develop these reports.  He/she has no idea what they (the body making the request) expect.  You could probably help her."

That made me think about the frame of mind we have when we approach a task, including those we detest.  The task my former boss mentioned was one I did not look forward to, but apparently I did them to a level he liked or he wouldn't have said what he said.  How do we approach those things that are burdensome?

Imagine Mary, who has been told she's having a child who is God's Son.  Imagine the burden she must have felt when, at a young age, she becomes pregnant and is informed by an angel it is the Holy Spirit that has delivered this pregnancy to her womb (Luke 1:35).  Mary's response is best shown later after going to stay with Zechariah and Elizabeth, pregnant with John.  John leaps in the womb and Elizabeth praises Mary among women.  Mary's response, now known as "The Magnificat," tells of Mary's frame of mind:

"My soul Magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked o the humble estate of his servant.  For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed, for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name." (Luke 1:46-49)  The full Manificat is Luke 1:46-55.  I encourage you to read it because it reveals the humility that Mary views the pregnancy of our Lord Jesus Christ with, and the blessing she feels God has bestowed upon her.  What could be a burden is seen as a blessing.

Pray that we approach all God gives us is viewed as a blessing and not a burden.  Pray that we have that same frame of mind that Mary approaches her life with.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment