Thursday, March 7, 2019

Devotion 3.7.19

We’re starting a new series this week focused on the Lenten theme or repentance.  
A reminder that this Saturday is 2nd Saturday Men’s Breakfast.  Great breakfast tacos, great guys, and even greater building up of the faith.  8:30 AM at Rudy’s

Have you ever had something so troubling happen that you felt it in your gut…?
But it was also on your mind all the time….
Put you an emotional roller coaster…
And depressed your spirit…

We all know David has a life full of ups and downs.  Some weren’t his fault.  Others definitely were.  The Bible makes it clear that he was a sinful man.  And David doesn’t hide from his sins.  In Psalm 6 he gets real about how he’s feeling the weight of his wrongdoing in his body, in his mind, and on his soul.
Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath.
Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am faint; heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony.
My soul is in deep anguish. How long, Lord, how long?
Turn, Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love.
Among the dead no one proclaims your name.  Who praises you from the grave?
I am worn out from my groaning. All night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears.My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes.

The beauty of repentance, and the deep repentance of the kind that David is doing, is that when your heart is poured out to God, you can come to a place where you say things like this…
Away from me, all you who do evil, for the Lord has heard my weeping.
The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer.

David has gone deep in repentance and he comes back up, like a person bursting up out water, and he takes a deep breath full of God’s mercy and forgiveness.  A deep breath that fills him back up and soothes his body, his mind, and his soul.

Don’t be afraid to go deep in repentance today as you talk to God, but make sure you take a huge gulp of grace too!

Blessings!
Dan Borkenhagen
Associate Pastor
Hope Lutheran Church & School

No comments:

Post a Comment