Sunday, March 22, 2020

Devotion 3.23.20

Greetings to all who are reading this.  I hope this finds you well during this time in all of our lives.  This is, to say the least, a very interesting time indeed.

COVID-19 - We've probably all heard about it and read about it.  We may even know people impacted by the virus.  Friends of ours who have family.  Friends with associates or others in their lives who have it.  When the virus eventually runs its course, we can certainly say we knew people who were impacted directly or indirectly by it.

The question is, how does a virus that can be survived with better than average odds have us in such a panic?  I'm not certain, but somewhere in some psychologist's vault is a study that is being written about our behavior at this time.  We've stripped stores clean of goods.  We've taken to social media to proclaim our fears, expertise, or opinions on this and that from a political nature, an economic nature, a matter of social behavior and a host of other stuff.  And, only in America, we have managed to create humor about the issue too with memes and jokes - one such example was a post from a friend of mine that read, "Since sports are no longer on television, I've gotten to know this person I've been living with for a few years.  I've learned we are married and that she is a doctor at a local clinic.  Apparently her name is Betty."

The answer to the question asked above comes to us through scripture. In Psalm 23, we find David seeking comfort and refuge in the living God.  We use this psalm at funerals, but in this case, we learn the psalm is not really about death, but about living.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and staff , they comfort me."

God cares for us, and we lack for nothing.  He makes us to lie down, leading us near still waters.  He restores us.  And when we walk (not if, but when) through the shadow of death, and not death itself, we fear no evil, because he is with us.  Christ says it this way in Matthew 28:20 - "... and behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

In truth, we pray that we know God is with us in times of crisis, panic and fear.  We pray that we put our trust in the living God, one who assures us He is with us.  We pray we use this time of quiet to still our souls and fear no evil, because He sent His Son to be with us always.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment