Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Devotion 11.24.20

"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!" Psalm 118:1

So begins David psalm of praise, as he highlights all that God has done for him and for Israel, from before David's time, through his time and personal life and for future acts yet known.  David had much to be thankful for.  He was, after all, a "man after God's own heart" (1 Samuel 13:14). David moved up quickly as the youngest of sons from Jesse to fight Goliath and demonstrated great faith in that capacity and other aspects of his life. David became a young king and demonstrated great skill.

David also stumbled.  In fact, he fell greatly, but not from grace.  David, after being confronted, redeemed himself (Psalm 51).  Through it all, David turned to God.  "Out of my distress, I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free." (v 5) "I was pushed hard so that I was falling, but the Lord helped me. The Lord is my strength and salvation." (v 13-14). "The Lord has disciplined me severely, but he has not given me over to death." (v 18) "You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God; I will extol you. Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!" (v 28 - 29)

Where has God been for you? You are chosen by God as well as a redeemed child of Christ.  When have you stumbled and turned to God? When have you been distressed and turned to God? When have you been disciplined and yet remained thankful to God?

On thanksgiving, we give thanks to God, for he is good.  We give thanks that his steadfast love (the love of His Son Jesus Christ) endures forever.  We give thanks for all moments, mountains and valleys, and we give thanks for he is our God.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving and count your blessings, even in 2020, and lift a prayer of thanksgiving to God.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment