Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Masculinity - Wisdom

 "Does not wisdom call? Does not understanding raise her voice?... O simple ones, learn prudence; O fools, learn sense. Hear for I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is right, for my mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an abomination to my lips." Proverbs 8:1; 5&7

One of the funniest memes (pictures with a message on social media) I saw was of Dean Martin, holding a glass of his favorite drink, smiling his signature smile, while holding a cigarette with the caption, "Wisdom comes from experience. How did I gain experience? From a lack of wisdom." 

(Click here if you don't know who Dean Martin is and focus on the caption for the sake of the devotion.)

Certainly, in life on earth and with it earthly wisdom, trial and error over years should provide us with wisdom, the kind Dean was referring to earlier. You either get it over your lifetime or you don't. The same characteristics that interfere with spiritual wisdom interfere with earthly wisdom: pride and arrogance rank right up there. While age isn't a guarantee of wisdom, we do have the benefit of age to give us enough trial and error to break down that pride and arrogance.

Solomon, though, talks bluntly to the prideful and boasters in verse five when he says "simple ones" and even more bluntly "fools." He does note, however, that it can be learned because he says, "...learn prudence" and "...learn sense."

He's talking to me directly with that comment, and I am guessing to others reading this. If I'd get it through my thick skull to listen every now and then to someone who is trying to help me out, I might learn a thing or two, but no, let me do it my way. Paul talks to those of us who never learn in the New Testament as he speaks about wisdom in 1 Corinthians 1:30-31: "And because of him (God), you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that as it is written, 'Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.'"

God has a plan for the weak and prideful/arrogant sinners who cannot learn wisdom, like me. He sent His Son Jesus Christ to become wisdom for me. We receive our wisdom through the Spirit as Paul continues to write in chapter 2 of 1 Corinthians, "...these things God has revealed through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches even the depths of God... and we impart this in words no taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual." (1 Cor 2:10 and 13).

Part of our "masculinity" is wisdom, gained from no longer fighting God and His Spirit, but yielding to Him as we pray, "Thy will be done." We seek humility to gain these insights and lessons only God can reveal to us, so that we may share them with others not as wise men of God, but as servants obedient to Him, out of the same love He showed us through His mercy and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment