Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Devotion 8.7.22

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. (Heb. 12:1-3)

 

This Scripture comes after a tour de force of examples of Biblical faith in Hebrews 11. The writer has talked with some depth about Noah, Abraham, Joseph, and Moses.  He realizes he’s going to go on forever so then he just piles the list up by mentioning Gideon, David, Samuel, and more.  He talks about how they’ve conquered kingdoms and endured persecution, seen miracles and endured heartbreak, but they’ve done it all through faith. 

If those kinds of examples are sitting out there, he reasons, then why can’t we too run with endurance through whatever is in front of us.  And ultimately, each of those examples points us to Jesus because it was he who strengthened them. 

 

In the five years I’ve been with Hope, I’ve been blessed by the examples of the faith I’ve seen here.  I hesitate to name names, but since this Scripture does, I think it’s only right to remember some of those that are now cheering us on from heaven.  I’ll never forget how many times I’d be teaching a Bible study and Ernie Kiesling would quietly raise his hand and ask a question that blew me away.  The product of a lifetime of following Jesus and reading his Word.  I’ll never forget my last visit with Brian Barnell when I brought him communion. He wasn’t eating anymore, but when he saw my box, he said, “there’s the food I really need.”  Yes, the examples of faith here at Hope, not just in those men, but in all of you has built me up.  The words we shared on 2nd Saturdays.  Some overnight brisket cooks and crawfish boils.  And with so many of you, moments of conversation talking about life and how God was carrying you.

 

The hard thing is that sometimes after being built up, God calls us on to another task.  It would probably be easier to stay, but I’m seeing another leg in the race set before me.  And so we’re going to keep running and looking to Jesus for the strength to do it. I do, however, ask that you all continue to be part of my cloud of witnesses.  Pray for me and my family. Pray for our ministry. Pray that we successfully bring a little of Texas with us to Minnesota!  Know that I’m praying for you as well.  Your names are all over my prayer journal and I’ll keep those prayers coming.

 

May God bless you each as you cast aside whatever is hanging on you.  Keep running the race with Jesus!

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment