Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Retreat Devotion 9.12.22

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared in advance, that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:10
(This will be part of our devotion at the retreat, but since some won't be there, we will share in advance for all to benefit and prepare.)
What is your purpose? Why am I here on this earth? Am I significant and do I make a difference?
These are all questions we ask ourselves at some time in our lives. If you do a simple scan of my life, let's say look at my calendar and see what my schedule looked like from 22 years of age until now, you'd come to the conclusion my purpose was to be in meetings. In fact, it is almost a steady march each day, especially in my education years, of meetings. Even in retirement, I meet. Don't try to draw a distinction between being an educator and the "real world," because when I retired and went to the private sector, the meetings increased.
Surely I am meant to do more than to convene around the table or in a room with others, and I bet you feel the same. We all seek significance or meaning in our lives, but where do we turn for this?
Scripture tells us in passages like Ephesians that we were created with a purpose. In fact, our being means that we were put here to do "good works," which God prepared with us in mind. That means that God is intimately aware of us and what our time on earth is for (Psalm 139), as He "knit us in our mother's womb." My task, then, is to seek God's Will in my life, to open those doors maybe I haven't been, to make that call I haven't made or to seek out that visit with someone I have been putting off. 
We pray for insight into God's will for us and to open those doors of opportunity that we may have walked past many times. We ask for God's Spirit to guide us to help us see those opportunities and to equip us for service as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment