Monday, October 12, 2015

Devotion 10.13.15

The conversation between a friend of mine and I goes something like this:  "Checked out the obituaries this morning to see if you or I were in there.  We weren't, so we have another day."  I do occasionally scan the obituaries just in case I need to send a message of sorrow and comfort to someone I know or have worked with.  Today (Monday) I noted a poignant obit for a very young child named Brolin Hardin (age 4). 

The introduction struck me in that it said, "completed his earthly mission."  Later in the obit it said, "He truly understood life was to be lived and not observed."  What a great reminder for us all. 

Paul writes, "...but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.  For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain.  If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me....My desire is to die and be with Christ, for that is far better.  But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account (the church in Philippi)." (1:20 - 24)

My earthly mission and even my death should be a testimony to Christ.  Pray that we live each day understanding that life is to be lived and not observed, and that we live each day honoring Christ in our bodies.  Pray that our labor is fruitful as we ask the Spirit to use us to proclaim the good news of Christ, each in our own way.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment