Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Devotion 10.12.16

I was fortunate enough to read "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau around 45 years of age. I had escaped mandatory readings in high school, and I was somewhat glad because I could read it on my own terms and not the teacher's.

Thoreau is an interesting individual, driven to escape the trappings of society by escaping the isolation of the woods in Massachusetts in the 1800s.  Thoreau had issues at the time with society in general and wanted to get away from it all.  His notes while on his journey led to his book, "Walden."

Interestingly, his isolation and desire for aloneness remind me of a passage in Mark 6.  They have returned from being sent out to minister and are telling Christ of all that happened.  Christ then says, "Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while." (6:31)

That invitation is for us as well.  When do we spend time with Christ, in His Word and in prayer?  Where do we go to find the time to listen to Him as He tells us His desires for us in our lives?

Pray that we find time and use time to listen to Christ in mediation and prayer.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment