Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Devotion 2.9.17

Since most, if not all of us, are grown, where do you go when you need guidance?  A trusted friend, perhaps a licensed counselor (nothing wrong with that by the way), a pastor?  We seek advice as men, but we seek it under the cloak of darkness.  We seek it in cloak of darkness because we, in fact (but not in truth), are supposed to be the source of strength and answers.  To reveal a vulnerability or a weakness would be, well, showing a vulnerability and weakness.

Men have a God-given role to lead and to be the spiritual leaders of the home and the family.  That point may be debated in this world, but the truth is there for us to see in scripture, covered in devotions past.  So, where does a man go when he needs guidance?

David, king of Israel, man after God's own heart, shows the torment he feels because he is the king of Israel.  Just where, may we ask, does the warrior king, go when he needs guidance?  Described in  1 Samuel 16 as ruddy and handsome, David's confidence probably filled the room when he entered it.  And yet David had his weaknesses and shortcomings. 

David is a man worthy of study for men because he was of this world, and being of this world, he had his strengths and certainly his weaknesses.  Yet David, in all occasions, turned his eyes to God.  "Nevertheless, I am continually with you, you hold my right hand, you guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory.  Whom have I in heaven but you?  And there is nothing on earth that I desire more than you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psalm 73:23 - 26)

We see God's own son, Christ, turn to the Father often for counsel.  Pray in earnest that as we seek guidance, we turn to Christ and the Father, praying for insight, praying for wisdom, and praying for those things we believe we need and those things He knows we need.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment