Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Devotion 9.5.17

Hand-wringing.  We are all guilty of hand-wringing.  We are worriers, and some people worry to the point that they worry about what they were worrying about because they forgot but knew they were worried about something.  I had a friend I referred to as a professional worrier.  "Why should I worry?" I would say, "I'll give it to him and he'll worry about it for me."

Scripture is full of passages that basically let us know just how wrong it is for a Christian to worry.  Joshua 1:9 reminds us: "Have I note commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."  He's basically just promised us He is with us on this journey.  But, that's not good enough.  Sometimes I want to be a man's man and handle this one on my own.  God, you sit in the back seat and enjoy a good book because I'm a self-made man.  Got here this far with my solid mind and firmness in decisions, so I'll let You know when I'll need Your help.

Paul, however, proves we are wrong.  In Philippians 4, Paul reminds us that Mr. Self-Made Independent Man can only go so far.  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, in prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think of these things... I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

If, at the end of the day, I don't have these committed to heart, then I continue to rely on me.  However, these two passages tell me that God is with me, and to turn to God in everything.  Paul informs me to be at peace because I've given it to God.  Paul will also say, "My grace is sufficient for you."

That's a peace that surpasses all understanding.  We pray for that peace than only Christ can give.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment