Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Devotion 9.7.17

Got a slap on the wrist one time from a devotion I wrote.  "Do you think God cares about Tech football?" was the message.  No, I replied, but sports is a metaphor for life, so it is used to provide an image to the message.  I also apologized if the person who wrote me had been offended.

Paul, though, uses many kinds of images to convey his message.  As we journey through life, Paul encourages us to live intentionally, focused and remembering the reason we are on this journey.  "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things.  They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.  So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)

We pray that we focus on the cross.  We pray that we receive the Spirit to keep us focused through God's Word, the sacraments, and through worship, prayer, and study in God's Word.  We pray we live intentionally and not "aimlessly."

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment