Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Devotion 1.14.21

 "I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

My third and final takeaway from 2020 is very simple:  Service.  Being in service to others, serving the team or group I belong to or am a part of.  A group of us at the real estate office meet every Tuesday and "Servant Leadership in Action" was a book we read and discussed, completing the discussion this past week.  It enhanced my thinking on the topic of "service," but "service" would have come to the surface anyway.

During 2020, there seemed to be one of three ways to approach it:  Do nothing; Say you're going to do something; or Do something. Unfortunately, only one does anything to move the ball forward.  We can say what we want about 2020 and all the things that kept us from (you fill in the words here), but the truth is, there was still plenty we could have done.  And much needed to be done because life was, for better or worse, disrupted in 2020.

This devotion is not lecturing anyone, so don't see this and ask, "Does he think I didn't do my part?" I'm not talking about anyone other than me in this devotion, and things I didn't do or left undone, but I'm guessing, as with any topic, I'm not the only one. Given that, what does this have to do with "servant leading?" Well, servant leading at the heart means understanding the values and purpose of who I am and how that fits groups/teams/organizations I belong to because those values and purpose are present in the greater group/team/organization. Servant leading then means not just watching as others live by those, but also submitting ourselves to those same values and principles.

So, I say that because as I look to this year from last, I see areas where I can insert myself to serve.  Maybe not in person, but from a distance.  Maybe in person if required or asked.  There is a fine line between service and good works and grace. We don't do service to gain favor in God's eyes or others, but it is a part of who we are in response to the grace from Christ.

So, my prayer in my personal journey is that I'm in gratitude more and being grateful.  My continuing prayer is that I keep things in perspective and look at something from all sides.  Finally, I'm hoping to be of service when it's needed, be it in the house, in a group or around the town when an opportunity arises.  This is my prayer.  

If you've looked back at 2020 for three takeaways, what have yours been?  I hope and pray you find the answer to that and make that your prayer as well. We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.  No obstacle, not even 2020, is too great.

No comments:

Post a Comment