Friday, February 12, 2021

Devotion 2.15.21

 "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." Matthew 7:3 - 5

Christ is fairly clear, yet we seem to forget this familiar passage. Who is the "scoundrel" of the day? What's he or she done? I'm sure if you are asked this, a person's name can come up quickly.  I know it can for me.  Maybe not a big name either, but someone who has done something I've taken exception to that I might protest in my mind. I might even believe he or she has sinned against me and want to take my case to people (ignoring Matthew 18)

How do we so often forget that?  How do we forget our own state of sin and maybe even forget that no one's state of sin is any less or any greater than another's? "Yeah, but at least I never..." may be the refrain.  In Matthew, we hear Christ's words in the "Sermon on the Mount." Chapter Seven is part of a larger message early in Christ's ministry.  Christ expands the definition of sin for those who may have thought they escaped the actual physical act and are not guilty.  Murder, adultery and others went from the physical act to passions of the heart.  Hate, anger, lust are all equal to the sin.  We measure the sin of the world like the pharisees, pointing out legalistically how the world is in a sad state, forgetting our sinful nature is contributing to it as well.

This Lent, beginning Ash Wednesday, will be a period of reflection and repentance.  It is only through the cross that we see Christ take on the magnitude of the sin of this world (past, present and future) and through His resurrection that we receive the unmerited and undeserved salvation, even for a scoundrel like me.

We pray the eyes are opened and the logs are removed.  We pray for a world in hurt and that those in despair turn to that same cross and resurrection that brings us the peace and salvation needed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment