Sunday, February 7, 2021

Devotion 2.8.21

 "Do you not know that in a race all runners run, but only one receives a prize? So, run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So, I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I should be disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

As you read this, you already know the outcome of the Super Bowl, so to replay the game would be redundant. Today (Sunday), I drove back from Fredericksburg, TX and was thinking about the upcoming game, wondering who would win.  As was noted in a previous devotion using the passage above, the players, including the two marquee players - Brady and Mahomes - was a matchup of a lifetime on paper given the degree to which they train, the command both have of the game, and the discipline they use to execute their respective games.

So, in mid-drive, I called a buddy who had just left church, and he noted the great job our pastor did in a pinch.  Seems as though the one who was going to deliver the sermon today (Sunday) was ill and had to call in and say, "Can't do it today." My friend said, that the pastor had really used a line that packed a punch, so to speak from the analogy Paul uses in the passage.  So, I queued up the service on Facebook and listened. 

The pastor elaborated on the passage above as the Epistle lesson selected for today (Sunday), but about mid-way through, he asked this, "Do you want to be right, or do you want to be effective?" Prior to verses 24 - 27 in 1 Corinthians, Paul informs us of his efforts to be "all things," that is to a Jew, he spoke as a Jew, to the non-Jew, he spoke as a non-Jew, to the weak, he became weak. He does this for "the sake of the gospel." (v 23)

That takes the same mental toughness exhibited by our players in the big game, as Paul later analogizes. I maintain my focus, foresaking the desire to be right, on the gospel message of Christ Jesus.  

I might add that rather than seek to be right, seek to make a difference (be effective). I can only speak for myself when it comes to this, but I see it all across the social media universe (including my own clutter).  Pick the issue, and too often I choose to slap or slap back. So what does my "lust to vindicate myself" (Augustine quote) do to my ability to minister when the time comes?

Pastor noted the ways to combat this by taking in what Paul says: Train myself to exercise self-control; pray for the Spirit's guidance; and maintain the focus of the gospel message.

This is spiritual excellence and to develop it and maintain it requires the same training and discipline exhibited by those we watch today (Sunday). We pray for that excellence in our daily lives and that we train and focus ourselves for the sake of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment