Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Devotion 3.12.15

From Ernst "Ernie" Kiesling, member of Hope

PS 107:1 says: “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever”.

In my grandfather’s house and in my father’s house, brief prayers were always spoken before meals (usually the common ‘Come Lord Jesus’ table prayer in unison) but also at the end of the meal: “O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, and his mercy endures forever”.

My father lay in a comma for several weeks before his physical death. He seldom uttered a coherent statement or word when I was present. But one day as I sat alone by his bedside, he said very clearly “Give thanks to the Lord for he is good and his mercy endures forever”. Those were the last words I heard him speak. I value that moment and my memory of it.

I have often marveled and thanked God for my father’s faith and spiritual leadership. My mother died when I -- the youngest of six children -- was less than two years old. My father never remarried. Somehow he managed our household and farm through the great depression and beyond. He continued to give thanks for our blessings and to reflect God’s love to us.
 
This ends our third week of devotions inspired by members of Hope or readers of the Men's Ministry Devotions.  Ernie's (Dr. Kiesling actually) reminds us of the strong impact men of faith have on their families.  As we continue in this Lenten season, we want to remind ourselves of our duty as men of Christ with our families, our primary duty while on earth, to share and shape faith and faith lives.  This personal sharing is powerful on many levels.  Thanks be to Christ for His Word, its power in our lives, and its power for us as we walk through life striving to be men of God.
 
Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment