Monday, July 18, 2016

Devotion 7.19.16

Where does the energy come from?  Men, I'm telling you, activity that would drop the average human in two hours had little effect or impact on the drive these young kids have.  By Wednesday, I was thinking to myself that this will be the day when the kids eventually drop from exhaustion.  Of course, I said that from my bed after having dropped from exhaustion, so I was hoping to have some company in the dorm, kind of that "please tell me I'm not the only one" moment.

The heat, significant, was oppressive, but to try to get the kids to rest in the heat of the day was as easy as changing tires on a car with no tools or car jacks.  When we arrived, I had five cases of 40 bottles of water for just the junior high boys (18 in all).  Pastor Eric said, "Maybe we can take the remainder to New Orleans for the National Youth Gathering," to which I said, "Sure, we will probably have some left over."  By week's end, we had to buy another case of water.  It was that hot, and we were that thirsty.

Yet, it was apparent that these kids thirsted more than water.  They were engaged in the bible studies we had for them as well as they were the games and activities we had, eager to answer questions and participate in discussions.  They were bright and asked questions of various leaders when we took turns presenting.  I was reminded of two passages during this time:  "My soul thirsts for God, for the living God" (Psalm 42:2) and Christ in the book of John, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink.  Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" (8:37 - 38)

Our kids thirst for answers.  We thirst for meaning and purpose.  Christ brings us that living water that quenches that thirst for meaning and purpose.  Christ is the living water that delivers us from the heat in our lives that we face.  We pray a prayer of thanksgiving for his Son and for the living water he provides.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment