Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Devotion 2.1.17

Once upon a time, in a land far away, I was a young principal and we were going through training on planning.  The processes we were being trained in was called the DuPont Processes.  I loved it.  I was about 30 years old and the training for this young principal could not have been more timely.  Our district was investing in us, as I saw it, and it was enjoyable... to me.  There were some older principals in our group who had been there since my childhood (I was a principal in the district I went to as a child).  Their comments?  "They are trying to get us to all think the same way.  They are trying to tell us how to think." 

Sadly, I still hear that today.  In one organization I served, after completing a mission statement, the facilitator said, "Get your organization to read that together.  It's a powerful way to get people to hear it and begin to process it."  So we did that.  About a month later one of the clients we served said, "I heard you were having the staff make a pledge of allegiance to the organization.  What are you doing up there?"  In text code, SMH (shake my head).

In truth, yes, an organization walks that line of encouraging freedom of thought but ensuring we all are on the same page.  Creativity is crucial to improvement, but so is adhering to the mission, knowing that my energy is contributing to that mission.

Paul says that to us as Christians.  "So, if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind." (Philippians 2:1 - 2)

The body of Christ needs to be of the same mind and sharing in the love of Christ.  Pray that the work we do in our congregations is of that same mind and love of Christ, all in one accord and of one mind.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment