Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Devotion 3.3.16


March   3             “Salvation Is Nearer to Us Now Than when We First Believed” (Romans 13:11). 

Dr. Thomas Troeger of Yale Divinity School tells about waking up in the intensive care unit after surgery. Groggy, not fully awake, he heard a loud pounding. Bam, Bam, Bam, Bam. “Oh, no! Hospital construction. That’s the last thing I need. Dear God, make that pounding stop!” Bam, Bam, Bam, Bam. Sometimes we don’t get what we ask for. Becoming more fully awake, he remembered what the surgeon had said. “We’re going to put an artificial valve into your heart. At first it will make a loud pounding noise, but it eventually it will quiet down.” Dear God, cancel that last prayer! 

Then Dr. Troeger brought home the point of his story. Every beat of your heart is a gift. Every beat is a grace from God. “Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness” (Matthew 6:33). What are your priorities in this season of your life? You’re only one heartbeat away from eternity.  

CTRL+ALT+DEL: “Search me, O God, and know my heart. Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! Amen. (Psalm 139:23-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment