Friday, March 4, 2016

Devotion 3.5.16


March 5               “When the Righteous Cry for Help, the Lord Hears” (Psalm 34:17) 
A man had a very ill son. Today we might call it epilepsy. “Teacher, I brought my son to you, for he has a spirit that makes him mute. And whenever it seizes him, it throws him down, and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid…. If you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us” (Mark 8:17-18, 22) 
Jesus answers with a bit of gentle sarcasm, “‘If you can! All things are possible for one who believes.’ Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, ‘I believe; help my unbelief!’” (Mark 8:23-24) 
That father spoke for me, and I assume for you as well. We believe, but oh! Doubts come. “Did God actually say?” (Genesis 3:1). Another opportunity for a Lenten reboot! Tomorrow’s message in church will be about the tussle of faith and doubt.
And Jesus said, “You mute and deaf spirit, I command you, come out of him and never enter him again” (Mark 8:25). “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all” (Psalm 34:19). 
CTRL+ALT+DEL: “O God, forsake me not!” (Lutheran Service Book 731, 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment