Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Devotion 3.9.16


March 9               “Remember” 
As I look back at my life, 70 next year, what most shaped me spiritually was memory work. In parochial grade school and Sunday School we were required to memorize and recite Bible passages, the catechism, and hymns. Years later the study of theology taught me that memory work gave God’s Spirit an opportunity to drive His Word down into my heart. 
Here’s one we had to learn, Ecclesiastes 12:1, “Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say, ‘I find no pleasure in them.’”
That’s depressing, like old people saying, “Enjoy it while your young; life gets worse.” It’s also realistic. For most of us life gets harder as we get older. When “the days of trouble come,” we need to take comfort in what we’ve learned about Jesus. 
There’s a little red book I keep on my Seminary desk. It was given to me at my confirmation, that church ritual when young people publicly reaffirm the faith given in Baptism. The title of the book is “Remember.” Some memories should get better with age!
CTRL+ALT+DEL:


No comments:

Post a Comment