Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Devotion 2.24.16


February 24        “You Cannot Serve God and Money” (Matthew 6:24) 

“Jesus, grant that balm and healing in Thy holy wounds I find, ev’ry hour that I am feeling pain of body and of mind.” How can Lenten repentance for sin also free us from painful hours of financial fretting? 

“I will say to my soul, Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.” Unwisely we seek safety in things we can see. “The things you have prepared, whose will they be? So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God” (Luke 12:19-21).

Sin uses our desires to enslave us. Credit card debt, unsustainable life styles, financial fears, financial confidence…Those are symptoms of our bondage to sin. Jesus forgives our sin, our searching for fulfillment apart from God, but the Gospel of forgiveness does something more. It helps us reboot to a new attitude, a determined attitude to break financial bondage.  “For freedom Christ has set us free… Do not submit again to a yoke of slavery” (Galatians 5:1).

CTRL+ALT+DEL: Spirit of my Savior, help me seek first Your kingdom. Assure me that other necessary things will then be taken care of. Amen. (Matthew 6:33)  

No comments:

Post a Comment