Thursday, February 25, 2016

Devotion 2.26.16

February 26        Count to Ten!
The widow I wrote about yesterday, the one who trusted God to take care of her when she had only enough food for one last meal… Her challenge is ours: Do I let myself be led by the promises of God or my emotions? 
Think about your computer. Maybe you’re entering financial information, maybe typing a report, maybe work emails, when the computer goes goofy. Sanctified Christian that you are, you break out singing, “Praise God from whom all blessings flow.” Far from it! Your emotions trigger a reaction that is, hmmm…. Let me say, “Less than holy.” Sooner or later you get rational. “I have to reboot.”
That illustrates our daily challenge as flesh and blood people. Sometimes our heart overrules our head to our hurt. Christian maturity means “having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth.” Why is it that we were taught to count to ten? “As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct” (1 Peter1:14). 
CTRL+ALT+DEL: Jesus, help me abstain from desires that war against my soul. Amen. (1 Peter 2:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment