Friday, March 10, 2017

Devotion 3.11.17

Worry/Anxiety - Psalm 3

An enemy is someone who is actively opposed or hostile to someone or something.  So, who is our enemy?  The word gets used often in our society and throughout the world as we refer to those who stand opposed to us as a people, our way of life, our faith, and ultimately our lives.  However, I've heard it used in the workplace and other such less formal settings as we ask, "Who is for us and against us?"

Our worries are the sum of our fears.  These fears can be personal:  fear of loss of income, a friend, or a loved one; fear of status and reputation;  fear of how we are perceived; and, a host of other areas where our fears, founded or unfounded, find themselves.  The "enemy" plays into those fears of safety and security, whether real or perceived. I may stand a better chance of winning a lottery, but the fear of a terrorist attack is more real in my mind as I board an international flight than the thought of winning a large sum of money. 

Ironically, David the king writes in his psalms, usually filled with eloquent language, a strong desire for God to deal harshly with his enemies.  "Arise, O LORD! Save me, O my God! For you strike all my enemies on the cheek; you break the teeth of the wicked." (Psalm 3:7)  What we see in these is David's raw emotion, much like ours when we ask of God or say to God, "Get me out of this mess please God!  I don't know if I can take much more of this!"

Yet in the same Psalm, David breathes these soothing words of truth:  "But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head. I cried aloud to the LORD, and he answered me from his holy hill.  Salvation belongs to the LORD; your blessing be on the people." (3:3 - 4 and 8)

Christ says it this way to us:  "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28 - 29)

Christ is our resting place, from our "enemies" to our fears and concerns.  Christ is where we seek justice and peace.  Christ is where we take our burdens and allow Him to lift them from us.  We pray to Christ for our enemy (as He instructs us) and to lift our burdens. 

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment