Thursday, March 23, 2017

Devotion 3.24.17

Guidance - Psalm 63

My favorite part of the interview process we had in place was that of the final interview.  We used a multi-phased approach that included people closest to the work in the first interview which then moved to senior leadership in the second.  The idea was this:  Do you fit into the work component, and will you be an integral part of the organization?  Different sets of eyes assess both.  Inevitably though, after several weeks of interviews, the applicant was offered the job, and almost without fail, the applicant would look at us and say, "I should go home and pray on it.  When do I need to let you know?"

After years of being involved in processes like these, I really began to wonder to myself, "Pray on it?  That didn't start before you began this process?"  From that, we learn this:  You got what you wanted. What do you do now?

In a positive sense, you got what you wanted.  The opportunity has dropped into your lap.  It's yours, so what do you do with it?  In the negative sense when "bad" things happen to you, this test or this temptation has fallen upon you, maybe of your own doing, maybe not, but what do you do with it?  How do you respond to it?

"Oh God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.... My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." (Psalm 63:1-2;8)  In truth, before, during and after opportunities or dilemmas, God is our source of guidance where we turn.  David describes it as "thirst" in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

So, too, we pray to our God for his guidance.  The earthly guidance, that dry and weary land, can only go so far, but God is our source of truth for those answers we truly need in life.  Pray that God give us that wisdom and guidance we seek in both the good times and in the "dry and weary lands" of our lives.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment