Monday, March 6, 2017

Devotion 3.7.17

Guidance - Psalm 62

I once heard a story about a battleship at sea that comes across a light flashing in the distance.  The captain of the ship hails via radio to the source of the light in the fog to let him know that he's the captain of a battleship, and that the source of the light needs to move as the battleship travels its route.  The source of the light in the fog responds by saying negative, I cannot do that.  The battleship captain, not irritated, reminds the source just who he is and what his battleship means in terms of power on the high seas.  The source of the light responds by saying, "I'm the operator of the lighthouse, and you are on course to hit rocks if you don't change course."

When am I the battleship in my life?  Feeling invincible and powerful.  Full of myself, reminding people of just who I think I am?  And what can be the lighthouse in my life, reminding me that I'm not invincible and need to change course?  Sometimes it can be "the least of these," a nice, meek and mild widow who responds to a statement I make which in a nice and loving way sets me straight.  I'm a battleship, but she's a rock with a light giving guidance.  What about you?  What about your life?

David, the king of Israel, makes clear in no uncertain terms who his rock is.  "For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.  For God alone, O my soul wait in silence, for my hope is from him.  He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.  On God rests my salvation and my glory, my mighty rock, my refuge is God." (Psalm 62:1 - 2; 5 - 6)

We seek guidance in our lives, but we know God is our rock.  We know that guidance is needed in our lives, and God is our salvation.  We know God is there for us, yet we don't turn to him until the need and burden is too great.  God is our fortress in life, our source of strength, and His perfect and good guidance is there for us daily.  We pray we turn to God at all times and seek his guidance in our lives.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment