Friday, March 3, 2017

Devotion 3.4.17

Strength - Psalm 73

I enjoy working out at the local gym, less than one mile from my house.  I go mainly for cardio workouts which includes treadmill, bike, and stair master.  I also do light weight training because back in the days when I ran distances, light weights help you as you get further into a run, keeping your upper body upright.  The workouts were to keep the runner (me) from sagging and slumping as he or she got further into the race.  I even took advantage of a trainer to help learn the kinds of routines to develop in that part of the workout.

The payoff was completing marathons and half-marathons, not building muscle mass.  So when I go to the gym today, I marvel at the men, and now women, who come routinely and workout, who have developed nice muscle mass and who are physically strong in appearance.  These people have developed a discipline that in physical terms is like that of an academician, who has studied and developed a body of work.  They literally read, study, eat, work, and sleep the study of body building (those who go about it honestly).  Their strength is impressive.

So, too, our spiritual strength.  Spiritual strength isn't measured by how often or how much you do - pray, read the bible, study.  It really isn't a matter of how much you know from memory.  Spiritual strength is measured by "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." (John 6)

David, as a man, gives us a great testimony to this kind of strength.  David turns to God often in the accounts of his life and in the words he leaves us in the psalms.  "Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, and afterword you will receive me into glory.   Whom have I in heaven but you?  And there is nothing on earth that I desire beside you.  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psalm 73:23 - 26)

Through it all, David turns to God.  In beautifully written language, he holds God's hand and God hold's his hand.  God is with us.  God holds our hand through life.  We receive counsel from God.  God, and his Son Jesus Christ, will receive us into glory, and we have none in heaven besides them.  Our spiritual strength is measured in the simplest of forms - how much do we turn to God?  We pray for this spiritual strength David describes, and we pray that we turn to God in all occasions.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment