Sunday, March 26, 2017

Devotion 3.27.17

God's Will - Psalm 121

My dad's will was read in court after he passed away 12 years ago almost to today's date.  I remember it vividly as the attorney, a young man I was working with at the time in education (he was primarily a lawyer practicing education law) was there with a more senior attorney who was to guide him through the process of probating a will in court.  The judge had not come into the courtroom yet, and it was just the three of us.  They were talking to me about the process, when I was to answer the questions, and when they were to answer the questions.

The judge entered the room, and we stood.  He told us to be seated, and the younger attorney began to speak.  The older gentleman leaned over to me and said, "David, today you will realize that your dad sat down many years ago to write out his final will for you and what his wishes were for his estate.  He did this for you to provide and to give guidance, so when he did this, he was thinking of you.  It's okay if you get emotional as we go through this."  In truth, I was fine until he said that, but his comments did weigh the gravity of the truth of my dad and his will, not an object, but his strong wishes and desires.  In truth, he did sit down some time ago and had all this done specifically for me and my family as the sole inheritors of his estate as put for in his will (the object) and his will (his strong desires).

How do we know God's will in our lives? "I lift up my eyes to the hills.  From where does my help come?" asks David.  "My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.  This LORD is your keeper, the LORD is your shade on your right hand.  The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore."  (121:1-2, 5, 8)

God is aware of and knows the intimate details of your life.  God watches over us as we go through our hour, our day, our life.  "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10)  God's will is spelled out as plainly through his Word as it was in a legal document written years ago to express the will of the person for his or her estate.  Through prayer, reading, and fellowship with other believers, we learn God's will in our lives.

Pray we lift our eyes to God and ask for His will to be done in our lives, which He prepared in advance through His Son Christ Jesus that we should walk in His will.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment