Monday, March 20, 2017

Devotion 3.21.17

Worry - Psalm 27

There seems to be plenty to worry about these days.  We won't elaborate on the litany of things that are out there for us to worry about, but by just asking this, you can run your own list through your mind.  What do you worry about?  The political joke is, "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean there aren't actually people out to get you."

For those who are professional worriers, that's hardly reassuring, but we spend time worrying, to the point that it is a popular topic among self-help literature.  It is also what a healthy portion of the skilled mental health professionals spend their time listening to patients reveal.  We worry to the point of literally making ourselves sick sometimes.

David was consumed with worry as well.  Certainly a study of his life showed that he was shaped by his life experiences, so he knew he had to look over his shoulder at all times as king because he felt people were out to get him (and they probably were).  So where did David take his worries?

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall.  Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; through war arise against me, yet I will be confident.  One thing I have asked of the LORD that I will seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple." (Psalm 27:1 - 4)

We realize the fall of man has given us problems like worry, yet like David, we take our fears and concerns to God through his Son Jesus Christ.  With David, we gaze upon the beauty of God and inquire in His temple - His Word.  Christ tells us not to be anxious about our lives, to not be anxious about tomorrow for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble (Matthew 6). 

We pray that we receive our daily bread.  We pray that Christ give us the strength for that day.  We pray that Christ grant us His peace and that we truly know He is with us each and every day.

Hope Men's Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment